- Job Level:
This position is responsible for the administration the day-to-day operations of payroll and group benefits programs (group health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, travel and accident plan, flexible spending plan, 401(k) plan, and retirement plan). This position also: provides excellent customer service, ensures the quality of benefit plans, investigates new benefits programs, improves existing programs, and handles fully compliant benefits administration
Shipping and Logistics
- Research employee benefits plans and vendors to identify those that present the best value. Recommend and implement new benefits programs. Examine possible plan designs and benefits cost changes.
- Serve as contact for plan vendors and third-party administrators. Coordinate transfer of data to external contacts for services, premiums and plan administration. Evaluate and revise internal processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency. Document and maintain administrative procedures for assigned benefits processes. Ensure compliance with applicable government regulations. Ensure timeliness and accuracy of required reporting and fees.
- Coordinate daily benefits processing. Handle enrollments, COBRA, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, disability, accident and death claims, rollovers, distributions, loans, hardships, and compliance testing. Oversee maintenance of employee benefits files, maintain group benefits database and update employee payroll records.
- Gather employee data and oversee the processing of monthly billings and the preparation of vouchers for payment of administrative fees for all group plans. Monitor premium bills to ensure coverage additions and drops are appropriately captured.
- Analyze current benefits, evaluating the use, services, coverage, effectiveness, cost, plan experience, and competitive trends in benefits programs, and identify the company's stance.
- Review both short- and long-range cost estimates/projections and relevant statistical analyses regarding modifications in benefits programs and implementation of new programs.
- Monitor administrative costs of benefits programs and recommend cost containment strategies, including alternative methods for administration and funding. Prepare budgetary recommendations and assist in the monitoring, verifying and reconciling of budgeted funds.
- Provide customer service support to internal and external customers. Develop communication tools to enhance understanding of the company's benefits package. Design and distribute materials for benefits orientations, open enrollment, and summary plan descriptions. Provide training and support to group benefits associates, home office associates and the field staff.
- Administer the company’s 401(k) plan.
- Manage all aspects of disability/FMLA requests and claims. Ensure proper FMLA notifications are sent to all employees informing them of eligibility and designation. Maintain master disability/leave of absence spreadsheet and ensure it is constantly current. Compare with third-party sick pay reports to ensure a reduction in W-2C form issuance. Communicate all third-party sick pay to ADP.
- Maintain employee personnel files; ensure pertinent documents are filed or archived timely and properly.
- Create and distribute employment termination letters
Bachelor's degree preferred
Experience & Skills Required
- Three to five years of employee benefits administration experience required; experience with self-funded insurance benefits is strongly preferred.
- Payroll administration experience a plus.
- HR Expertise.
- Critical Evaluation.
- Relationship Management.
- Ethical Practice.
- Function Specific Required Skills and Competencies: Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use Microsoft products, including Excel (intermediate-level) and Access (preferred but not required). ,
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now. Experience with other HRIS and benefits databases is also helpful.
- Experience with Fidelity Plan Sponsor WebStation is helpful.
- Project experience. Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates. The capability of effective planning and priority setting. Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of plan designs. Ability to understand, evaluate and make a judgment on proposals (RFPs).
- Knowledge of benefits contract language.
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, workers' compensation, Medicare, COBRA, and Social Security and DOL requirements.
- Excellent communication and organization skills. Ability to communicate effectively with benefits brokers, insurance companies, and non-HR employees – and tailor messages accordingly.
- Ability to maintain the highly confidential nature of sensitive HR matters.
PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, CPP, or CEBS professional designations a plus