R&D Laboratory Technician
- Job Level:
Our lubricants blending facility is seeking someone to become part of our team of technicians in supporting the research and development of next generation motor oils. The technician will function as a member of the blending team, reporting to the Blending Supervisor. This person will perform a full range of tasks related to laboratory blending, testing, and analysis. This role is ideal for individuals seeking to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Operate stirrers, scales and computer systems to accurately and properly blend chemicals in a precise manner to create lubricant performance packages.
- Ensure understanding of all safety, quality and operational procedures, to utilize tools, equipment, and electronic/computer systems
- Utilize a computer to obtain detailed formula information and availability of raw materials, post and request batches, check inventory and print labels.
- Utilize a computer to schedule, run, and monitor tests, arrange shipments and track results.
- Ensure the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment and adherence to all safety protocols.
- Follow documentation and recordkeeping requirements.
- Proactively contribute to an actively caring safety culture
- Assist with the training of new lab techs
- Assist with the upkeep of supplies and inventory
- Exceptional housekeeping practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Degree (or equivalent experience) in relevant science (e.g. chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemistry etc)
Experience & Skills Required
- 2+ years’ experience in a technician role.Prior experience handling, mixing, and testing chemicals.
- Knowledge of chemical compounding and an understanding of special formula instructions.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, measurements and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to conduct or learn conversion of metric to English measure, Density/SPG calculations
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions.
- Ability to schedule and run tests, evaluate results, and make recommendations.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Technical problem solving and analytical abilities
- High level of commitment to (and interest in) safe working
- Excellent attention to detail
- Familiarity with Laboratory Information management systems
- Good mechanical aptitude and interest