Forensic Laboratory Technician
- Job Level:
$17.00 - $18.00/hr
We have a great entry level opportunity for a Forensic Laboratory Technician to join an experienced Forensic Biology lab team. Under direct supervision, this position performs chemical, biological, physical, microscopic or instrumental analyses in criminalistics and forensic science, prepares solutions and reagents, maintains equipment and assist higher level personnel.
- Train and perform competancy testing on approved methods/techniques used in laboratory including, but not limited to, analyzing biological specimens and organic and inorganic substances; preparing solutions to be used in testing; and operating laboratory equipment.
- Receives and logs samples and evidence in accordance with rules of chain-of-custody.
- Prepares standard and stock reagents for analysis.
- Participate in the examination of evidence to locate and identify biological stains such as blood, semen, spermatozoa or other types of body fluids.
- Selects appropriate biological stains for further DNA analyses.
- Performs complex technical forensic laboratory analysis of evidence.
- Performs complicated molecular biology extraction techniques for the purpose of isolating DNA from blood or physiological fluid stained items and quantitates purified DNA.
- Identifies genetic profiles of extracted DNA.
- Performs advanced statistical analysis on the frequency of occurrence of generated genetic profiles and issues formal reports on the results of analysis.
- Utilizes various human population statistical analysis methods to obtain results and presents the results to investigators.
- Assists in developing and validating the protocol for DNA. Monitors, maintains and calibrates necessary equipment such as freezers, waterbaths, centrifuges and thermal cyclers.
- Performs periodic proficiency tests and validation studies on technological methods.
- Preparation and presentation of findings in department meetings and written reports.
- Process and properly document, collect and transport samples for analysis. Adhere to Federal, State and Departmental standard laboratory methods, requirements and guidelines.
- Receive samples, record sample data , physical characteristics and perform data entry to track sample testing and results.
- Exercise judgment and assume responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people, costs, and/or quality of service.
- Collaborate with laboratory staff to ensure department targets are met, assist with additional testing as requested and provide support as needed to internal and external customers.
- Follow all applicable safety, environmental and company policies
BS Forensic Science (entry level) or BS Medical Laboratory Technology, Chemistry, Toxicology, Biology (entry level) or AS degree with12 credit hours in Chemistry & 2 years of experience
Experience & Skills Required
- Prior hands on laboratory experience utilizing DNA techniques
- Safe chemical handling, ability to safely employ chemical handling techniques, follow established protocol and waste management procedures.
- Excellent PC skills which may include database entry/management (e.g. MS Office Suite).
- Excellent communication, organizational, presentation and interpersonal skills. Ability to write reports, effectively present information and respond to questions.