We are seeking an energetic Accessioning Technician with experience handling and routing clinical lab samples. This critical role will be responsible for the receipt, tracking and preliminary processing of clinical specimens to facilitating speedy and accurate diagnostic analyses.
- Provide pleasant, professional customer service; maintain excellent relationships with colleagues within the department, internal cross-department colleagues, physicians and patients.
- Receive, track and prepare clinical lab specimens for laboratory (internal and external) analysis according to department procedures (e.g., uncap/cap specimen tubes, label/barcode tubes, verify temperature if required, prepare racks, reagent preparation, centrifugation, data entry and shipping).
- Evaluate specimen integrity (turbid specimens, specimen labeling, temperature, specimen integrity, etc.) report deviations and initiate report.
- Perform specimen rejection follow up to initiate documentation and recollection
- Package and transport laboratory specimen to testing department or reference laboratory send out types according to organizational policies.
- Adhere to all safety requirements, maintain necessary environmental monitoring, equipment maintenance, safety checks, biohazard cleaning and inventory/order processes
- Maintain a clean, well-organized work area, clean glassware and laboratory equipment (e.g., refrigerators, water baths, freezers and supply cabinets) as needed.
- Assist with supply monitoring, ordering, inventory and storage to ensure adequate supply. Take responsibility for reporting inventory shortages and initiating restocking.
- Demonstrate the initiative to perform additional tasks.
- Work with a team to achieve department goals and objectives.
Experience & Skills Required
- Excellent attention to detail – ability to verify sample ID’s, confirm appropriate specimen quantity and preparation for requested test.
- Impeccable Data entry skills – ability to self audit and ensure accuracy of all data
- Sense of Urgency – ability to work in a stat environment
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- Commitment to safety – follow Universal Precautions and adhere to all recommended PPE’s